Where's Waldo? In Danville of course! The famous children’s book character in the striped shirt and black-rimmed specs is visiting twenty-two different local businesses throughout our community this July. Those who spot him can win prizes, including stickers, book coupons and more. Waldo figures are will be popping up in public areas of local establishments. Support local business and the Shop Local movement with this great summer vacation activity!
Anyone who wishes to participate can pick up a “Find Waldo Local in Danville!” passport with the names of all the participating sites at Rakestraw Books, then get their passport stamped or signed for each Waldo they spot. The first 100 Waldo seekers to get their passports marked at ten or more sites can bring their passports back to Rakestraw Books to collect prizes; 18 or more will entitle diligent seekers to entry in a grand prize drawing on July 31, with the top prize being a 6-volume deluxe set of Waldo books! There is no charge to participate and the hunt last throughout the entire month of July.
FIND WALDO in DANVILLE
1) Pick up your "Find Waldo Local in Danville" passport at Rakestraw Books starting on July 1st.
2) Waldo is hiding in all these local businesses this July. Go find him!
3) When you spot him, collect a stamp or signature for that business on your passport.
4) When you have 10 different stamps or signatures, bring your passport to RAKESTRAW BOOKS to get a Waldo coloring sheet and, for the FIRST 100 to come in, a special Waldo button and a coupon..
5) If you collect 18 of the possible 25 stamps or signatures, turn in your passport at RAKESTRAW BOOKS and get entered in a drawing for a 6-book deluxe set of the Waldo books and other great prizes.
6) This year have your picture taken with Waldo at Rakestraw Books. Post the pic to Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #WheresWaldoinDanville
7) Come see Waldo at the Danville 4th of July Parade!
8) Plan to attend a Waldo party and prize drawing at 5:00 PM on July 31st at Rakestraw Books.
Illustration © 1987-2102 by Martin Handford
PARTICIPATING MERCHANTS to follow.
WHO IS WALDO?
Waldo is the creation of Martin Handford, whose entertaining drawings of crowd scenes swept the world in 1987. Since then, the Where’s Waldo books have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves the world over. There are now over 58 million Waldo books in print worldwide and they’ve been translated into eighteen languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo and his cast of wandering companions.
ABOUT FIND WALDO LOCAL
In celebration of Waldo's longevity and popularity, his American publisher, Candlewick Press, is once again teaming up with the American Booksellers Association and 265 independent bookstores all across the country, including Rakestraw Books here in Danville, for some hide and seek fun as well as to encourage communities to patronize their local businesses. There is no charge to participate, and the hunt lasts for the month of July.